Full name: PHAM MINH Tuan
Title: Prof. Dr.
Date of birth: 1954
Position.: Lecturer, Department of Internal Combustion Engine .
1. Courses taught
- IC engines
- Fundamental of IC engine
- Exhaust gas of IC engine and environmental pollution
- IC engine simulation
2. Fields of interest
- IC engine
- Fundamental of IC engine
- Exhaust gas of IC engine and evironmental pollution
- IC engine simulation
- Gas exchange in IC engine
||Year of graduation
||Major and University
||IC engine/TU Dresden (Germany)
4. Brief research background and working experiences
- 5/1977 – 9/1985: Assistant, IC engine department, HUST
- 10/1985 – 5/1989: PhD student, IC engine department, TU Dresden (Germany)
- 6/1989 – 8/1993: Lecturer, IC engine department, HUST, Vice Dean of Faculty engines and automobiles (April 1993 – August 1993), Deputy Head of science management department (July 1993 – August 1993)
- 9/1993 – 2/1995: Guest lecturer at faculty of mechanical engineering, Bremen university of applied science (Germany)
- 3/1995 – 11/1995: Lecturer, IC engine department, HUST
- 12/1995 – 3/2003: Vice Dean of Faculty of mechanical engineering, Head of IC engine department, HUST
- 4/2003 – 8/2006: Director of Vietnamese German Center, Head of IC engine department, HUST
- 9/2006 – 1/2007: Dean of School of Transportation Engineering (STE), Director of Vietnamese-German Center, Head of IC engine department, HUST
- 1/2007 – 9/2011: Dean of STE, Head of IC engine department, HUST
- 9/2011 – 6/2014: Dean of STE
- 7/2014 up to now: Superior Lecturer, department of IC engine, HUST
- Appointed as Associate Prof. in 1996
- Appointed as Prof. in 2009
5. Remarkable scientific projects
- Research on innovation of carburetor orifices to reduce fuel consumption of truck ZIL 130. Ministry-level project. Handed over April 1981. Participant.
- Fuel consumption standardization for forestry transportation. State-level project. Handed over October 1982. Participant.
- Research on development of carburetor B-01 for truck Giai Phong. Ministry-level project. Handed over February 1983. Participant.
- Research on innovation of carburetor orifices for truck Giai Phong. Ministry-level project, Handed over August 1983. Participant.
- Research on reduction of environment pollution caused by engine exhaust gas. Ministry-level key project. Handed over May 2000. Participant.
- Calculation of thermo dynamical working of cycle four-stroke IC engines. University-level project 1997. Chief.
- Research on influence of unleaded gasoline on IC engines which have soft valve seat. Ministry-level project 2000-2001. Chief.
- Research on manufacturing ECU of fuel injection system used as alternative spare part for ancient imported cars. Ministry-level project. Handed over March 2005. Chief.
- Design, manufacture and test in-line 6- cylinder diesel engine used for trucks and buses. State-level project of VEAM from 2004 to 2006. Handed over March in December 2007. Participant.
- Ministry-level project (Ministry of Industry and Trade) hosted by Le Qui Don university within the national program on using energy economically and effectively. Handed over on 1st January 2009. Participant.
- Design improvement and manufacture EFI system to replace carburetor fuel system for motorbikes. Ministry-level project Nr. B2009-01-288. Handed over April 2011. Chief.
- Research on converting diesel engine into engine fueled with diesel-LPG. Ministry-level project Nr. B2009-01-290. Handed over April 2011. Participant.
- Research on reducing emissions of in Hanoi in-use bus diesel engine. City-level project within 2010-2011. Handed over December 2011. Participant.
- Research on catalyst cracking technology to produce fuel from waste lube oil. State-level independent project Nr. ĐTĐL.2009T/19 hosted by Department of Petroleum Chemistry, HUST. Handed over 2012. Participant.
6. Published books
- Pham Minh Tuan. IC Engines. Science and Technology Publishing House. Hanoi 1997, 2000, 2001, Pham Minh Tuan 2004, 2005, 2006, 2013.
- Pham Minh Tuan. Fundamental of IC Engine. Science and Technology Publishing House. Hanoi 2008, 2013.
- Pham Minh Tuan. Exhaust Gas of IC engine and environmental pollution. Science and Technology Publishing House. Hanoi 2008, 2013
7. Remarkable papers
- Le Dang Đông, Pham Minh Tuan, Tran Anh Trung, Le Anh Tuan. Lean-burn limit of EFImotorbike engine using hydrogen enrichedgas mixture. Science and Technology Journal, Hanoi University of Industry, Nr. 4/2015 (27). ISSN 1859-3585.
- Phạm Minh Tuan, Khong Vu Quang, Nguyen Duy Tien, Ho Van Dam. An experimental Study on ECU mapping for CR fuel system. Vietnam Mechanical Journal, Special Edition 2014, ISSN 0866-7056, pp 410-415.
- Phạm Minh Tuan, Pham Huu Tuyen, Nguyen The Truc. Determine mechanical loss of diesel D243 using indicating data analysis. Proceedings of the third National Scientific Conference on Mechancal Engineering, Hanoi, April 2013. Science and Technology Publishing House, ISBN 978-604-67-0061-6.
- Pham Huu Truyen, Pham Huu Tuyen, Pham Minh Tuan, Le Anh Tuan. Influence of E10, E15 and E20 fuels on performance and emission of in-use gasoline passenger cars. Proceedings of the 5th Regional Conference on New and Renewable Energy – RCNRE 2012. Hanoi September 26-27, 2012. pp 140-145. ISBN: 978-604-911-121-1.
- Khong Vu Quang, Le Anh Tuan, Pham Minh Tuan, Le Danh Quang, and Tran Van Toai. Experimental Study of the Effect of Fuel Additive on Performance and Emissions of Spark Ignition Engines running with Gasohol. 5th SEATUC (HUST 24-25 February 2011) OS10 -No 137.
- Le Anh Tuan, Pham Minh Tuan et al. Creation of practical emission factors for motorcycles: Development of a local real world driving cycle for motorcycles in Hanoi. Workshop on Traffic and Environment (sponsored by DAAD) – Hanoi, August 9-10th, 2010.
- Pham Minh Tuan, Nguyen Van Tuan. General Calculation of Internal Combution Engine Lubrication System. Journal of Science & Technology, No 73B/2009, p. 85-90.
- Pham Minh Tuan, Le Anh Tuan, Hoang Minh Duc. Simulation of turbocharged diesel engine D1146TIS designed and manufactured by VEAM. Journal of Science & Technology Nr. 61, Hanoi, 2007.
- Pham Minh Tuan, Nguyen The Luong, Tran Quang Vinh, Tran Dang Quoc, Le Anh Tuan. Evaluation of effect on reducing emission of EMITEC three-way catalytic converter used for motorbikes. International Conference organized by VR, Hanoi, November 5, 2006.
- Cu Huy Thanh, Ha Quang Minh, Pham Minh Tuan. Set up a model to optimize cam contour and valve timing for diesel engine D243 using software AVL- Boost and AVL-Tycon. Industry Magazine, Hanoi, May 2006.
- Hoang Minh Duc, Pham Minh Tuan, Khong Vu Quang, Pham Huu Tuyen, Tran Dang Quoc. Calculation to increasing power and improve the performance of six cylinders, turbocharged diesel engine using AVL Boost, AVL Tycon software. ICAT’05, Hanoi, October 2005.
- Cu Huy Thanh, Ha Quang Minh, Pham Minh Tuan. Determining boundary condition parameters when using Boost software to calculate thermodynamic process of DiSoCo engine D243. ICAT’05, Hanoi, October 2005.
- Nguyen Van Tuan, Pham Minh Tuan, Le Van Hoc. Quantify some influence factors on exploitation of maritime diesel engines using fuzzy logic. Communications and Transport Magazine, Hanoi, December 2004.
- Phạm Minh Tuan, Le Van Hoc, Nguyen Van Tuan. General evaluation of technical status of Vietnam’s maritime diesel engines in service. Communications and Transport Magazine, Hanoi, July 2003.
- Pham Minh Tuan. Engine testing results when switching from leaded to unleaded gasoline. Inter. International Conference on leaded gasoline phasing out. Ho Chi Minh City, April 18, 2001.
- Le Anh Tuan, Pham Minh Tuan. Calculation of thermodynamically working cycle of IC engine. ICAT’2000, Hanoi, September 2000.
- Pham Minh Tuan. Experimental research on heat balance of IC engine. Special Edition of Journal of Vietnam Society of Automotive Engineers, Hanoi, January 1995.
- Pham Minh Tuan. Formation and evaporation of fuel film on the combustion chamber wall of diesel engine. Journal of Science & Technology, Hanoi, April 1993.
- A. Hoche, Pham Minh Tuan. A model for mixture formation in diesel engine (original in German). Motor Sympo 88, Strbské Pleso (Czech), April 19 – 21, 1988.
- Vo Nghia, Pham Minh Tuan, Tran Lu Quang. Evaluation of economical and technical features of caburetor C-01 manufactured by automobile plant B230. Communications and Transport Magazine Nr. 5, Hanoi, October 1983.
8. PhD students
- Nguyen Thanh Bac: Research on converting diesel engine into engine fueled with diesel-ethanol. From 2013 to 2016. Main Supervisor.
- Nguyen Manh Dung: Research on reducing emissions of in-use light duty vehicle diesel engine. From 2013 to 2016. Main Supervisor.
- Le Dang Dong: Research on controlling EFI gasoline engine retrofitted with a catalyst converter generating oxygen-rich mixture. From 2014 to 2017. Main Supervisor.
- Tran Van Hoang: Improve catalytic performance for hydrogen-rich gas production applied in spark-ignition engine.From 2015 to 2019. Main Supervisor.
- Nguyen Van Nhinh: Study on the effects of biofuels on engine performance and emissions when using diesel – ethanol – biodiesel blends. From 2015 to 2019. Main Supervisor.